Perhaps the most devastating news a new parent can receive is that something is wrong with their new baby. The word “autism” used to be a rarely used word. When I was a child, I knew only one child with autism. Forty years later, it is the fear of every new parent with statics greater than one per one hundred children born, and growing.
I have not gone into a great deal of research on this topic because it is expansive, however, the news article that was released today by Dr. Mercola is an excellent read! Here is the link:
Environmental Toxins Linked to Rise in Autism http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/04/02/environmental-toxin-exposure.aspx via @mercola
The link between toxic loading and birth defects has now been studied on a major population segment, and according to the study, there is a correlation between environmental toxins, autism, and family income.
Until further information is known, there are things you can do now to lower your risk for toxic loading. I’ve made a list, of the easiest to the more expensive, and it starts with your water!
1) Don’t ever drink unfiltered tap water. It is full of toxins, and not fit for human consumption. Drink reverse osmosis purified water if possible, putting a system on your incoming water supply so you don’t bath or shower in it either. If you want an inexpensive quick fix, use a Zero water pitcher. It comes with a TDS *total dissolved solids” water tester that you can use to test all the water you drink. I carry one with me when I travel, and I test the bottled water I purchase to ensure it is filtered to my standards of .006 TDS or less. That is 6 parts per million, and nothing more!
2) Buy and consume only organically grown food, and do not wash it in the tainted, contaminated tap water! Use filtered water to wash and cook with, always!
3) Do not eat out at non-organic restaurants, which means when you travel you need to plan your stops or pack your food ahead of time
4) Do not use shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, deodorants, perfumes, cosmetics, that are not 100% certified organic and toxin free. The cheapest ingredients are used by the commercial giants that make these products, and they’ve no concern for your health. Your skin is the largest organ in the body. Putting contaminated lotions on just does not make sense. Try pure coconut oil and you’ll be surprised how great your skin feels
5) Stop the consumption of all protein powders and bars unless they are certified organic and been evaluated for heavy metal toxins (refer to 2010 Consumers’ Report study and recent reports from Mike Adams, The Health Ranger)
6) Wash clothes with organic products and do not use fabric softener sheets, rather use wool dryer balls to fluff clothing and take out static. Chlorine (as used in popular cleaners) is a known carcinogenic. So, get educated on what being ‘clean’ really means, and what you need to stop immediately
7) Change all your household cleaners to organic, and make your own cleaners using alcohol, baking soda, vinegar, and naturally derived soaps like glycerin
8) Remove as much carpet as possible, and try to get as much furniture without the new flame retardants. Recent laws passed require highly toxic flame retardants to be added to sofas, mattresses and carpets. If you must have a new mattress, cover it in a hypo-allergenic cover after allowing it to ‘air out’ for a couple of weeks before you use it
9) Do not smoke! There are thousands of elements in a cigarette that are not tobacco. If you smoke, you WILL get cancer if your heart doesn’t give out first
10) Do not walk into your house with your outdoor shoes, and put booties on your pets when they go out so they can take their shoes off too! Many of the heavy metals, petroleum, and just plain ol’ germs come from your walk outside. Treat your home like your castle and protect it from outside toxins
11) Invest in a high quality air purifier and use it year ’round
Of course, we cannot be perfect, but if you try as often as possible, you’ll be able to greatly reduce your toxic loading!